Magdalene College intends to maintain a life-long relationship with its Members and supporters and is keen to ensure that Members gain full value from your membership of the College, whilst ensuring that we comply with all protection that the Data Protection Act 1998 affords to you. We will hold your personal data securely in accordance with the Act under which it is fully registered.
Magdalene College is the data controller for all personal data collected in the course of its business. Personal data is held securely by Magdalene College under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and will be treated confidentially and with sensitivity. Your personal information will be used only for the benefit of Magdalene College and its Members.
What we do with your data
The data that you supply to Magdalene College (including personal data, collected during your association with Magdalene College and the University of Cambridge) from online updates, by email, by telephone, in person or by postal update will be used by College staff, including, but not limited to, staff of the Alumni and Development Office, the College Office, the College Bursary, the Master’s Lodge and the Conference Office for purposes directly related to the interests of the College and/or its alumni.
Personal data will not be disclosed to external organisations other than those acting as contracted agents for the College for purposes directly related to the interests of the College.
Data provided to the College may be transported and stored outside the European Economic Area, but such movement and storage will take place under appropriate safeguards and security provisions.
Magdalene College may request your permission for data sharing with other Members to facilitate the establishment of networking groups.
We may communicate with you in person, by phone, email, or by post, except where you have expressed a preference not to be contacted in a specific way. Your data may be used for the following purposes:
- distribution of College publications
- College fundraising operations
- notification and promotion of College events and activities
- distribution of emails, which will be tracked, stored, and analysed to ensure that we are better able to tailor our communications
- promotion of benefits and services available to alumni which may include services being made available by external organisations
- information regarding alumni groups
- information about academic courses and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities
- notifications from academic and administrative departments
- College and the University of Cambridge news and general communications
- promotion of careers path information
- requests to complete relevant surveys and questionnaires
- research and audit purposes by administrative departments and academic schools
- and for any other use deemed to sit within our data protection statement
Your rights under the Data Protection Act
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to request that your data is not used for any of the above purposes. If you do not wish your personal details to be used by Magdalene College for any or all of the above purposes, please contact the Magdalene College Alumni and Development Office on email@example.com, by phoning 01223 332104, or by writing to Alumni and Development Office, Magdalene College, Cambridge, CB3 0AG.
Minimal information is always retained to make sure you are not contacted again inadvertently.
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to be told whether information exists about you, and the right to receive a copy of that information.
Should you wish to view the full document Magdalene College: Policy and Procedures on Data Protection, please click here.